Monday, February 9, 2026

Blog Post #2: Composition

 This week I was asked by the people I work for (at the school studio) to photograph the workplace and the people in order to print them and hang them around the area, for decoration and also for marketing purposes, as the photos would be visible to anybody who walks into SPS at the University Center. I was given a set of instructions on what they would prefer for me to capture: action shots, behind-the-scenes, and just employees, talent, and students in their natural positions, demonstrating skills they could take with them in real life. For this project, I chose to emulate some of the photos visible on the walls, in terms of angle and feel. The photos are professionally displayed, but show a sense of familiarity with the equipment, people, and surrounding area in a way that makes the studio look like an intriguing and fun place to work. While composing the photos, I tried to ensure they showed both the equipment being used and the students running them. I usually lurked behind my coworkers as they worked, making sure they were comfortable with my presence, and having them behave as naturally as possible. They were encouraged to ignore me if it made them more comfortable. I kept the aperture low and the shutter speed high in order to capture the proper lighting, as well as the mood of the event. My ISO was about 400, my aperture was stuck at about f/8, and my shutter speed varied depending on how I wanted to expose a shot. I took between 115 and 130 pictures overall, not counting experimental photographs I took to measure out my shots beforehand, or when I was playing with the setting to adjust to the lighting. Overall, I think my shots came out great, and I will be returning next week to take more photographs, as these shots have not been finalized.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Timelapse

 For this time lapse, I took over 300 photographs of traffic and rushing water. The first half of the video shows me walking through a class...